A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Monday, February 26, 2007

The doctor says to the patient....

Yeah, sounds like a old joke coming on..well I definitely thought THIS was hilarious. After my visit to the dentist and the pain of spending all that money hit me (notthe pain of the filling !). I made a call to Ortho Dr.1 with vengenance in my soul for the expense I was put under which was in my mind avoidable. I did not call t make noise however as I was rather disgusted with the situation, I called to politely cancel my appointment to do my records. I spoke to the receptionist and she asked when I wanted to reschedule. I am sure I laughed noticably. I told her no thanks I won't be rescheduling. She politely enquired to my reason and I politely advised her that I had decided to go with someone else.

To my suprise the doctor called me back a few minutes later. Doc's first words to me was that if I had a problem with the cost of the treatment that they would be able to work things out for me. You know that got me pissed.....I was more than willing a week before to pay for their over priced service based solely on the promise of shorter treatment times. I took offense to the fact that I was brushed off at the follow up consultation quite abruptly and here Doc was sounding almost desperate to reel me back in.Oh so now they realise I really looking to spend my money , now I am a patient worthy of their time.STEUPS. Yuh kow I tell them how it is. I said that the reason I went with someone else is that I was told by my dentist that I had a cavity in my mouth which I felt they should have picked up since it was evidently present when I pointed it out 3 years ago. Doc responded by saying that they saw nothing on my xray and surmised that it developed recently. I retorted that it was not so much a cavity as it was a canyon since it was almost a root canal. The Doc sounded a bit taken aback and flustered and again commented that nothing was on the xray.Then I was told that the dentist xrays are more precise than the full frontal xrays they take. After all they are only checking my tooth structure.Then Doc is demanding the name of my Dr. I had a mind they wanted they wanted the other Ortho's Name but I thought well enough to give the Dentist's name. I wante dthem to calland hear just how big it was. Well I always thought a xray was a xray, i suppose I am wrong. I was still not impressed with the doc's reasoning on the matter. Then Doc was soon back to haggling the price and talking about payment plan.I let them know that the price was not an issue until I had to factor in the cost of all the reconstructive work.I could fix my teeth and put on the CERAMIC braces for less than their base cost.The doc then did something I did not expect and undermined the practice of the other yet unamed doctor. Doc said that their treatemnt was better because they use real ceramic braces and not plastic synthetic braces like those other doctors. This was teh justification for their elevated costs. With that comment made in such a way that Doc was struggling to control the tone just sealed my decision. No way I want this person in my mouth. I just said that was so nice of them to make accomodations for me, I would definitely reconsider in light of their offer. (yeah right!)

Of course I immediately emailed my Ortho to confirm exactly which type of Ceramic braces they used.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting story. Tells you sometimes dentists could have better people skills, doesn't it? If you want to reduce cost of ceramic braces just visit
http://dentalservice4less.com