A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Brace Day 2

My friend who used to have braces had me extremely paranoid that today would be HORRIBLE for my teeth. I go up this morning and rushed off to yet another meeting without even attempting to eat anything. Attempts to bite down created some discomfort that I just was not ready to deal with till later on. Later on turned out to be lunch time since my boss had me doing circles in work.

I found myself in the grocery nearby looking to stock up on soft foods and find something to eat for lunch. Fortunately for me I love pasta so I thought I would be ok. I soon realised it posed some challenges. Many pre-packaged pasta dishes come with marinara (red) sauce. Because I have the clear ligatures and the wedding to attend soon I am very hesistant to even risk eating it and then end up with red ligs. I think I will have to do some experimentation closer to my next appointment to see what I can get away with in terms of staining foods. I ended up with a few packs of Ramen noodles, some clam chowder and some macaroni and cheese (white cheddar variety). I was suprised to discover microwavable baked potatoes fully dressed in a remote corner of the grocery freezer. Then I realised I hate an entire half gallon of cranberry+grape juice in my fridge that I had not managed to finish off before I got braced. I tend to drink a lot of cranberry juice for health reasons but it definitely would not be ideal now. So I found the white cranbery juice but unfortunately its a juice cocktail and not 100% juice. Sigh. So with my food purchases I realsied that diet wise this experience could be really good or really bad. Good because I definitely will be keeping my portions reasonable , I have also just lost the interest of snacking late at night (every night) as I usually do cause it means I will have to get up and brush my teeth again. Bad because most soft foods are high carb foods e.g potatoes,pasta. I am generally all for low carbs after following the South Beach Diet for some time now to live healthier. This experience is really going to throw me off a bit.

My next stop was in the pharmacy for dental products. I figured I would get a wider variety of options than in the grocery. I was wrong, at least with this particular pharmacy chain. I wanted to get a new , softer toothbrush and some white toothpaste. So I gave up quickly on the toothbrush cause I was not sure which would be best..I will have to do some research. The toothpastes started frustrating me cause they all seem to be tinted with some fantastic flavour or other. I noticed in using an Aquafresh Brand that it was turning my plastic tongue ring orange. I figured it would turn the ligs ornage as well. Next thing, every single toothpaste claims to whiten. I am a little concerned about using whitening toothpastes for the next two years. I don't want to have brown squares on my teeth when my braces are removed but I can't seem to find a 'normal' toothpaste.Same with mouth washes..why are they all blue or green? Umm Clear please?Hello? The only clear one I saw was the Listerine whitening which again...is whitening! Now I realise that it does not seem to be antiplaque just anti funky breath so its not really helping me now is it? One thing that is annoying is my dry lips. I have a really bad habit of biting my lips nd ripping them to shreds. The fact that I have the braces is definitely not helping my case. I was already lax with the lip gloss, I dunno how I am ever going to maintain that properly.

So after my rounds I sat down to have something to eat. Although I had to eat a little more gingerly, I did not get the pain that I was expecting. Big relief! Doh mind that I had already stocked up on Motrin. All in all, day two was uneventful and bearable. I have a feeling the bottom teeth won't be as easy a ride!

4 comments:

Test said...

Ocean Spray makes white cranberry juice, which is reported to have the same health benefits as the red version. If you can't find that product, another alternative would be cranberry pills.

As for toothpaste and mouthwash, maybe a health food store would have a better selection, since they tend to stock brands that don't contain any added colours or powerful whitening agents.

Anonymous said...

Squeezle, this is Trinidad, I think she's outta luck with the "health food store" thing.
Jumbie, I haven't seen White Cran in 100% juice anywhere. If you see it at all it always seems to be a juice cocktail and tastes awful.
Good luck!
Girl this braces thing look like PRESSHA. You're also scaring me because my 4 yr old daughter STILL sucks her thumb and it has already affected the shape of her upper jaw and "social six." Now if we were like parents long time (or not so long time) she woulda been gettin' all kinda aloes and peppersauce on dat finger long time!

Anonymous said...

Well 'rah, I figure if Trinidad have all kinda fancy thing like a MAC Cosmetics outpost and 'self litigating braces' a health food store would not be too much of a stretch. LOL

Wait nuh, I wonder if it's just on MY computer, but the instructions in this comments box are all in German! Lemme go and take a drink, oui!

Carnival Jumbie said...

squeezle, that ocean spray cocktail is rubbish, thats why i drink the 100% but as i said i figured out how to drink the red one lolol!!And i did invest in the pills.
'rah i giving yuh a heads up..I sucked my thumb till I was 5. I also had a younger brother who sucked his thumb, he used to suck his thumb even with that nasty nailpolish they sell to stop it. I stopped one time but my mom is triumphant now that she was 'right' about my thumb sucking leading to crooked teeth. My teeth LOOK ok but they do have a slight flare outwards (not so far to say they are buck teeth but far enough to look weird from the side)