A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

You can call me....The Shredder!

So I can really identify right now with this guy, known as The Shredder. You may remember him from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies (the old school ones NOT TMNT). Aside from the fact that we now have a striking resemblance with all this metal in my mouth, I have literally become the shredder.No dental floss is safe around me!!

Now I guess because my top teeth were ok to begin with and were more spaced than crowded I did not forsee the problems I am now experiencing. When I flossed the top teeth I took about 10 minutes tops. And thats me taking my time. I got to be so good at it that I no longer needed to use the floss threaders to get under the archwire. Then again I had the fact that I am very handy with a needle and thread to my advantage. With my bottom metal brackets installed it has become IMPOSSIBLE to floss between some of the teeth. First there is the problem where my teeth apparently shifted overnight so the floss physically cannot pass between the teeth. Then there is the situation where the brackets are riding on top of each other so closely that you can't even see where the wire is to thread beneath it. So I was forced to start using the floss threaders for my bottom teeth which has now extending my floss time by about 10 mins. Yeah so I basically need a half hour to 'brush' my teeth.

In addition to which the metal brackets now shred just about every piece of floss that dares to come close. I have to pull at least four lengths of floss just to get through the bottom teeth. It is amazing that my teeth could be so close together even though the orientation does not seem to have changed.

I have also developed an unfortunate habit. Now that everything I eat sticks up in the braces ,I tend to run my tongue over them to try and dislodge the food as I am eating. This turned out to be a bad idea because now I am blistering the tip of my tongue. It literally took me the past few days to figureout why my tongue was feeling so sensitive. Yet another challenge in this journey.


No comments: