A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Brace Face

After literally years of contemplation, I have finally decided to get my teeth straightened. Most people who know me and who have seen my teeth will tell you that nothing is wrong with them. Some even think I have had orthodontic work done before.Generally nothing is wrong with my top teeth. My overbite is so deep that the top of my bottom teeth disappear so you may not notice that its my bottom teeth that are crowded and rotating. The reason it bugs me so much is that they USED to be near perfect and now they're not. I think if my teeth were kinda crooked to begin with I probably would be used to them and would be so self conscious of it.Part of the reason may also be because really bad teeth is a HUGE turnoff for me. Two things I notice about a guy when they approach..is their height and their teeth. Lacking in either of the two would probably not help your case.If you are female, the first thing I notice is teeth. And as they say, first impressions are lasting. I would remember the rider someone had before I remember their name. Over the years I have also developed a habit of cleaning between my teeth (not in the open!). I don't know if its because they are getting so jammed close together or what but anything between my teeth feels like a boulder and drive sme crazy! I have also noticed that its getting progressively worse over time so before it gets out of control I am taking pre emptive action. So this is how my teeth look now...


I first got the idea in my head to get braces about 3 years ago after I graduated university. By this time my wisdom teeth had come out and I assume this is part of the reason my teeth started shifting.My mom was very supportive as she has been convinced that it was my thumb sucking as a child that had come back to haunt me. At that time I scheduled a consulation with a reputable orthodontist. During the consultation I took xrays and was told that my teeth could be corrected without the need for extractions in about 15months. I was suprised to see that the cost of my treatment would be approximately $20000 +. This all depended on whether or not i chose the regular metal braces or the ceramic braces (tooth coloured) which incurred a higher cost. The ceramic braces cost $1800 extra per arch and are preferred choice for adult patients as they are less noiceable (not invisable). At the time I was concerned about going back to school for my Masters' Degree and was working in a job that was well below what I should have been earning. I also did not own a vehicle which was a purchase that was personally important to me. I knew my parents weren't going to front any of the money.For that reason I decided to post pone the treatment until I found a better job.

Fast forward to present day....I now have a better job and half a Master's degree (long story). My teeth as I said seemed to be getting worse and I have also developed a grinding habit in my sleep. Supposedly that is due to stress but I am more inclined to think its because my bite has changed ( I live a happy life). I scheduled another consultation with the same orthodontist to hear what she has to say.

No comments: