A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Dentist

I have not been to the dentist in years so I certainly was not looking forward to this visit. Coincedentally the dentist was a few doors down from Dr.2. I got a bigger surprised when the Dentist told me that she remebered me from primary school. It took me awhile but I finally placed the face, she was a couple years ahead of me. So I relaxed a bit.

A short inspection and a few xrays later confirmed that I had 3 cavities that needed to be filled! Two of the three were actually in that one problem spot that both myself and Dr.2 thought was suspicious. The dentist told me that the one cavity had spread between the two teeth and that it was so large that it was almost a root canal. Funnily enough I have not been in any pain. At that point I made my decision that Dr.2 would be my orthodontist of choice. I had lost all confidence in Dr.1 as I felt that the cavity should have been picked up 3 years ago with their xrays especially since I had highlighted the area. That along with the fact that during my follow up consulatation no inspection/xray was done to observe changes in my tooth structure and I was not even referred to a dentist for a checkup/ cleaning.Maybe they meant to do that after my records were taken..I'll never know.

So I proceeded with my tooth cleaning and was rescheduled to get my cavities filled. The cleaning and the xrays came up to $660! The cavities would cost a total of $1500 to fill ($500/filling).My friend warned me that this dentist was the uptown destist. It was necessary work that would have to be done whether or not I was getting braces and I have dental insurance so I figured I would have to bite the bullet. The practice also has a reputation for having some of the most advanced equipment in the country so I felt safe enough. I left the dentist with a cup in hand to spit out my saliva as it came along. I got a flouride treatment with which they tell you that you can't swallow for half hour. Telling me not to swallow is like telling me not to breathe...it was the worse. Yuh spitting amd yuh dribbling everywhere.

Unfortunately the unexpected expense of the tooth repair is going to set me back financially in terms of when I get the braces put on. I have no idea how I am going to work it out.

2 comments:

Tru said...

I have just started braces myself - older than you. I've been using invisalign, pardon my ignorance but do they have that in TnT? That would be a good choice.

Carnival Jumbie said...

That was actually my first area of research when I started looking into it. I have heard 'rumours' that it is done but I know of no one who actually has it. I am sure the price would be exhorbitant all the same since they would have to import the trays. I know my ortho has the clear trays for use as a retainer.They definitely did not mention it as a treatment option. They say old school is the surest way to get results right teh first time. I have heard horror stories about Invisalign where the person still had to use regular braces after.