A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Dr. Number One I presume...

Since I was really serious about going through with this I scheduled consultations with two orthodontists.. One was with the Doctor I saw three years ago and the other was referred by a friend who has literally had braces for 10 years. (She did not keep her retainer and had to redo treatment).

My visit to the first orthodontist did not go as I expected. On my first visit the doctor seemed pretty thorough in terms of info and what I should expect. The bedside manner was also positive. I had only heard good things from others who had used her and was eager to visit again and get the ball rolling. Although I had another consulation line dup it was 3 weeks away and I had pretty much made up my mind that I was sticking with the first doctor. Although a little more expensive than most orthdontists in Trinidad, I was guaranteed a shorter treatment time because of the 'modern methods' they used in the practice.

Well after waiting over an hour for my scheduled appointment I was ushered into the room. The orthdontist basically greeted me and handed me an updated price listing.Of course the prices had increased over the years. I glanced at the xray screen and saw my old xrays which in profile made my teeth looked really horrible. Even the top teeth looked flared outward. I pointed out that I was concerned a particular tooth was shifting dramatically and the doctor took a brief glance into my mouth from across the desk. I was told that I could still proceed with the treatment without doing extractions.I was not placed into a dentist chair for a visual inspection nor did I take any further x rays. I was getting the feeling that I was being hurried out of the office. Although the doctor did me a 'favour' by not charging me for the visit I felt cheated out of the consultation. I had done a great deal of research on the topic and had several questions which I never got chance to ask. I certainly had not gone to the appointment expecting a free consultation. For the very least I thought I would have new xrays done to see the changes first hand.

I was instructed to schedule a follow up appointment to do my "records' which is a full plaster mould of your teeth and probably some more xrays and the 'before' pics. I left the office a little disgruntled and annoyed that I had wasted so much of my day. I don't know if the doctor felt I was not serious since this was the second time I was visiting and I was just being humoured. I certainly did not feel I got the attention I deserved as a paying customer and decided at that point that I would still pay a visit to Doctor Number 2.

No comments: