A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dr Number Two I presume...

My friend had insisted that I get a second consultation before I made any decisions and I was certainly glad that I did.Doctor two had already impressed me by sending me a letter in the mail greeting me and confirming my appointment. It also included a map to the office and an extensive patient info form that I had to complete in advance. I don't recall going through that long list of ailments with Dr. 1 in either appointment although I had verbally told them what i suffered from. I was completely impressed as soon as I walked into the offices of Doctor number 2. The set up was very professional and inviting. To my suprise there was a computerised check in system where you used a computer provided in the waiting room to register your arrival for your appointment. I did not even know ppl in Trinidad had them fancy ting.

Shortly thereafter I was greeted by some friendly staff who explained that they would be taking the "before" pictures of my teeth to help with the consultation. They had a seperate adjustment center with four stations where several people could be placed to do required maintenance.

I was then ushered into the doctor's office where a full visual inspection in the chair was done by the doctor. I was surprised to see that my photos had already been uploaded to my patient file on the computer which was networked to the office. I advised the Doctor that I was checking out several doctors out of courtesy. I was advised that I would not need extractions and treatment would take about two years. She assured me that she was being more realistic than the other doctor.I was also suprised when she told me that she suspected I had a large cavity that needed to be filled before we could progress further. Then I got pissed....Why? Three years ago when I first visited Dr.1 and took xrays I had mentioned that I suspected I had a cavity in the location that Dr.2 was now suspicious of. Dr.1 dismissed my concern and said that it was ok. I also dismissed it as I put it down to my pet peeve of having things stuck between my teeth and my frequent picking that made me feel as though I had a void in between my teeth. Dr. 2 immediately referred me to a dentist. I was also tol dthat there wasno way I could avoid having a full treatment (top and bottom teeth).My overbite was so deep that I would just bite off the bottom brackets.Although the bottom was the bigger problem I would have to put brackets on teh top for a few months before I even got started on the bottom. This was news to me as Dr.1 had not said it in this way. Dr.1 did indicate that I needed both top and bottom even though 3 years previously I was told I could just do the bottom if I desired. Dr.2 also mentioned that my top teeth were stating to rotate because of the contact with the rotating bottom teeth. After giving me some more info on the treatment I was ushered to meet my 'treatment coordinator'.

The treatment coordinator presented me with a full information folder along with a free pen.LOLOL. I was then given a full powerpoint presentation on the different stages of treatment. I was given the lecture on what I would and would not be able to eat and ended off with the pricing. I was shocked to see that Dr.2 was nearly $3000 cheaper than Dr.1 for basic treatment.The ceramic treatment was also cheaper by being and extra $1000 per arch. I was starting to lean towards Dr.2 although the treatment time might be longer.I had some time as I had already decided thatnothing would be happening until after Carnival and after my birthday at the beginning of March.

I made an appointment with Dr.2 to do my records as well. I was reserving my final decision until my dentist visit. I was giving a computer generated appointment memo and sent merrily on my way.

No comments: