A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Band of the Year

My bands are driving me insane. I guess sometime in the distant future I will get used to it. At present I fail to see how that is even possible. The sensation of the hardware in my mouth is constant. There is one spot in particular one the right side of my mouth that is jooking into the underside of my tongue. I think that one spot alone is what has me so uncomfortable. I have been using the dental wax constantly in that one spot and one spot alone. If I don't have wax on it, I feel like I want to rip out my teeth. It all does not change the fact that my tongue is already sore. I am not sure if its because my tongue might be swollen or the strange way my mouth is still learning to navigate around the extra volume in my mouth but I feel like I am already starting to speak with a slight lisp (that I never had before).

Wednesday found me staring at the corn on the cob that my mom cooked for lunch in a very resentfull manner. I was having an internal dialogue as to how to eat the corn. On one side I justified it by saying I only had bands on the back so I could still bite the kernels off with my front teeth. On the other hand I heard the dental assistant's voice in my head saying "Broken band=3 extra months +$300". Eventually I cut off the kernels with a knife...my mom thought it was hilarious. She is being suprisingly suppportive. Suprisingly cause I thought she would have hounded me about the expense considering I pay no rent at home. Instead she seems very interested in the process and is glad that I am finally going through with it. I don't know if teeth can be hereditary but my mom, my sister and myself all have the same incisor rotated in the same way.I guess it is something she would fix if she could be bothered but is glad that at least one of us is doing something about our trademark tooth. It does not stop her however form telling me every so often , " Who told you to suck your thumb?!" My brother is getting ideas as well after noticing that he now has a space between his front teeth that he never had before.

I also have a tongue piercing that I am strangely attached too and did not want to take out for the treatment. I managed to beat down my ortho to let me put in a plastic tongue ring for the period. The whole dynamic between the tongue ring and the bands are still trying to sort itself out. The bands itself make me feel like I need to stretch my mouth all the time like how you would stretch your back when you sit in one spot for too long.

I'm starting to get a little concerned as to how I am going to survive when the actual brackets ar on...for two years!!! I don't know if I ever get used to this.

No comments: