A big woman like me now looking to correct my progressively shifting teeth Disclaimer:I am not a Doctor.If you want a professional opinion open the phone book and make an appointment.My blog,my experience,my opinion.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hanging Tough

Well I am getting kinda bored waiting for my brace day. I have yet to understand what is the reason for the delay. I passed by my ortho the other day to get some forms signed for my (much needed) insurance refund. I hinted to the appointment manager that I would love if my appointment could be moved up. She ignored me. Shortly thereafter she offered me a piece of gum. I thought it was a test to see if I would snatch the bait. FYI you can't eat gum with brackets/bands in your mouth. Apparently it was a 'joke' , I was not amused.

One good thing is that met another adult patient in the waiting room who had full ceramic braces. His set up looked really good, I actually had to ask him if he had anything on his bottom teeth at all, I could hardly see it. Being that I am slightly obsessed with how my brackets will look, I have taken to asking random people about their experience and who was their doctor. I guess once you on the inside you have a tendency to notice people who have brackets whereas you may have over looked it before.

A friend of mine brought his new girl to the club on Friday.He introduced her around outside. I had kinda known her from around since we had attended the same school at a point. She was a couple years ahead of me. The firstthing I noticed was that she had ceramic braces. I guessed it was kinda rude to ask her about them since she had just been intoduced around.... so I waited until we were inside the club.LOL. I am very bold faced. I think I caught her a bit off guard but then explained my situation. She then happily gave me some info once she realised I was not trying to make fun of her. Turns out she has the same ortho as myself and is very happy with the results and the customer care so far. Lucky for her she is getting debraced in two months. Her treatment period was 2.5 years. That was good news as I never really remember her having bad teeth to begin with and my treatment estimate is 2 years. Maybe I will get done even sooner!

The brackets have pretty much settled down more. I no longer feel that maddening poke underneath my tongue. I am still very aware of the contacts between the outer side of teh bands and my cheeks. I cannot imagine that this will ever go away, cause its just THERE ALL THE TIME. I was hoping it would just get numb to the contact.Maybe thats what these extra two weeks are for. I have managed to eliminate use of the wax for now. Which is good cause I'm sure I must have eaten at least two candles. I am toughing it out more because having to reapply the wax everytime you brush your teeth gets annoying as well. It is already a long process to floss ALL my teeth ALL the time.

My brother is investigating visiting a cosmetic surgeon in Miami to fix his teeth cosmetically for even more minor problems than my own. I have been trying to convince him that whatever they do in Miami can be done here now..for less. Like most Trinis, his faith in the local medical system is nonexistant. He wants to get his teeth levelled and whitened and a gap bonded. I advised him to check on the ortho because fixing it cosmetically isn't going to help the underlying problem if his tooth structure is off. (Don't we all become orthodontists during this process ?lol) I am sure he does not know what they really do to your teeth to place veneers. To me if I am going to pay $2-3grand US ($12-18 grand TT) to fix it cosmetically I might as well pay $19grand TT to fix it PROPERLY. But thats just me..my brother has a tendency to be a bit hasty.

Sorry to say I have been bending the rules a bit.My rationale has been that I have not gotten the brackets on yet so I bite everything thats kinda hard with my front teeth. I had a few kernels of popcorn on Saturday. Of course I made the popcorn as soggy as I could before attempting to chew it.I immeditately felt guilty so I stopped. Thats probably the worst of it. Soggy popcorn is not too different from wet cereal which has been ok'ed. I think its the kernels that supposedly get stuck in the brackets.I don't have brackets and how is that kernel different from boiled corn kernels (which have been a bit troublesome as well)?

I just realised that I have two weddings to attend in May and June. Which means I will be well braced up. I guess I will have to get a really hot dress to overshadow my grill. I will be taking a lot of practice pics beforehand to see how I will come out in the wedding photos.I have no intention of having my braces in for MY wedding. I definitely wanted my teeth perfected before my own wedding instead of after cause I would hate to see the pics and have my twisty teeth or my overbite glaring at me in the pics. Yes vain, I know ,but is my wedding dammit! I have a right to be vain!

I tried to get my b/f to take some 'before' pics for me. He thought I was just being dumb. He did take them however. I have yet to upload them, they're a bit better than the out of focus ones I took!

No comments: